Forget the dire headlines that “it’s worse than AIDS.” Here’s everything you need to know.
Viewing Posts tagged: health
The women’s magazine we really need vs. the one we get.
It’s National STD Awareness Month. Here are some fast facts:
- Treating STDs costs the United States an estimated $17 billion each year.
- Our epidemic is driven by just two STDs and there’s already a vaccine to prevent one of them.
- Women disproportionately bear the burden of STDs.
- Common STDs may become resistant to antibiotics
- HIV testing will now be covered under Obamacare
The unfounded fear that young children will somehow become “impure” if they learn about a dirty subject like sex is deeply rooted in American culture. Our society assumes that human sexuality is dark, dangerous, and shameful — something we need to protect teens from, rather than teach them about. Teens consistently learn that it’s not okay to talk about sex because it’s supposed to be totally off-limits to them, constrained to the bounds of a traditional marriage. But this attitude has led to disastrous consequences: damaging women and LGBT Americans’ sense of sexual self-worth, fueling the STD epidemic, and creating a moral environment where rape culture has flourished.
Bloomberg’s supersized soda ban gets rejected by a judge, but it’s backed by science.
The unofficial spokesman for “Heart Attack Grill” died of a heart attack.
Hold on: There may be a hidden cost to mixing your Diet Coke with alcohol.
There is no one who doesn’t have health care in America. No one.
Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant gets it completely wrong.