Six headlines about the government shutdown that are about to destroy your faith in journalism.
Viewing Posts tagged: journalism
A series of disastrous Washington Post columns show why this is needed, so we’ll keep it simple.
Tara Culp-Ressler and Annie-Rose Strasser offer a step-by-step guide:
1. Does it defend or sympathize with rapists?
2. Does it fault the victims, instead of those who committed a crime?
3. Does it downplay illegal activity by using more casual terminology for rape?
4. Does it use rape as a hook in a ‘trend piece’ meant to draw sweeping conclusions about society’s moral depravity?
Are these things more important than edits to talking points? Judge for yourself.
1. Carbon pollution reaches historic highs, threatening human existence
2. The devastating impact of sequestration on kids, cancer patients and first responders.
3. Massive cuts to food stamps for the most vulnerable.
4. 1,100 workers die in a Bangladesh factory collapse, and American retailers continue business as usual.
5. 4,150 gun deaths from gun violence since Newtown.
We’re awarding the merit badge for journalism to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien.
Why? She destroyed a supporter of Boy Scouts discrimination for equating pedophilia with being gay.
She won’t stand for more lawmakers ducking the issue.